Thursday, August 14, 2008

When I was younger and my dreams of Olympic gold were still alive, Kim Zmeskal was my favorite gymnast. In the early 90's she was IT. She was the gymnast to be. I loved watching her and wanted to be her. She's been retired since 2000, but she is still my favorite. Check out this beam routine from the 1991 Worlds.



After googling her today I found out that she now owns a gym in Coppell, not 30 minutes from my apartment. You better believe that when I have daughters I will try my hardest to pass on my love of gymnastics to them. Maybe one day they can train under the great Kim Zmeskal and my dreams of Olympic gold can be passed onto the next generation.

This montage of Kim is also amazing. She sticks everything perfectly. It gives me chills. And her whipback tumbling passes are incredible.



Oh, to be young and in shape again.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Wow. I remember watching her at the olympics.

I know that this is a highlight reel and everything, and so it doesn't show the times she made mistakes, but it makes you wonder what's the deal with the current gymnasts. It seems like no one is sticking landings like that anymore.

Megs said...

I love that you once had "dreams of olympic gold"!!

xoxo